Internet Explorer Detected

The Penn State Graduate School website is best experienced in Firefox or Google Chrome. It is highly recommended that you use an alternative browser.

Welcome, Veterans and Military Service Members!

Prospective Students | Current Students

Penn State’s Graduate School offers over 300 graduate degree programs, including both research and professional master's and doctoral degrees, and more than 200 graduate major fields of study at a number of locations across Pennsylvania. You can choose to study at University Park; Penn State Erie, The Behrend College; Penn State Harrisburg; Penn State College of Medicine at the Milton S. Hershey Medical Center; and the School of Graduate Professional Studies at Penn State Great Valley. Additionally, there are options to pursue degree programs through the World Campus if resident instruction course work at one of our campuses does not meet your needs. You can explore the alternatives on our website.

Information for Prospective Students

It is important to review your intended program of study’s admission requirements before applying for admission to the Graduate School. Instructions for applying and a link to the graduate application for admission will be found on the program’s website. Veterans and Military Service Members receive a discounted rate of $40 on their degree application fee.  This represents more than a 35% decrease from the standard $65 degree application fee.

You will undoubtedly have questions about tuition costs and available financial aid. Both Penn State’s Office of the Bursar and Office of Student Aid provide a wealth of information on their Websites that will help you to sort out the costs and available funding resources. If you have questions about assistantships or funding options through your expected college, you should contact the department to which you will be applying. Finally, Penn State’s Office of Veterans Programs can provide assistance if you have questions about applying for benefits through programs like the GI Bill®, Yellow Ribbon Program, and Tuition Assistance Top Up. If you plan to request Tuition Assistance alone, you should contact the Office of the Bursar for details about the billing process.

For those utilizing federal tuition assistance benefits and wishing to transfer credits from an external institution, please declare your intentions to your graduate program adviser once enrolled.  You should also refer to Graduate Council policy on Transfer Credit GCAC-309 for further information. 

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website

Information for Current Students

  • Active-duty service members or activated reserve-component members of the U.S. Armed Forces and/or spouses/domestic partners of active-duty members or activated reserve-component members who are ordered by their military service to relocate or deploy and, as a result, are unable to complete a schedule of courses for a given semester may request a Short–Term Absence, Extended Absence, or a Leave of Absence, or a Partially Cancelled Schedule.
This page was generated on May 24, 2024 at 9:45 PM local time. This may not be the most recent version of this page. Check the Penn State Graduate School website for updates.