Registration and Graduation Policies
GCAC-510 University Employee Credit Status
- University staff employees who want to take graduate courses must first be admitted to the Graduate School as a degree student, a certificate student, or a nondegree student. (See GCAC-302 Classification of Students).
- A full-time employee of the University may schedule up to 16 credits per academic year, either for credit or audit.
- No academic employee above the rank of instructor or research assistant or equivalent may receive from the University a master’s degree or doctoral degree in any graduate program where the faculty member has membership, teaches courses, serves on master’s or doctoral committees, or has other supervisory responsibilities that might give rise to conflicts of interest. The faculty member must inform his/her department head of his/her intention to pursue a graduate degree at Penn State.
- Full-time University employees enrolled in a PhD program:
- may meet Ph.D. degree residence requirements by registering for 6 credits per semester or 4 credits per eight-week summer session and by obtaining certification from the department head as being principally engaged in activities directly relating to their degree objectives.
- who is post-Comprehensive Examination may not register for SUBJ 601 (i.e., full-time thesis or dissertation preparation), but may register for SUBJ 611 (part-time thesis or dissertation preparation).
Adapted from Graduate Bulletin: June 2018