Scholarly and Professional Goals for All Graduate Degree Students
Programs and Curriculum Policy GCAC-201
The goals for all graduate degree students enrolled in the Graduate School at Penn State are to:
- Demonstrate appropriate breadth and depth of disciplinary knowledge, and comprehension of the major issues of their discipline;
- Use disciplinary methods and techniques to apply knowledge, and – if appropriate to the degree – create new knowledge or achieve advanced creative accomplishment.
- Communicate the major issues of their discipline effectively;
- Demonstrate analytical and critical thinking within their discipline, and, where appropriate, across disciplines; and
- Know and conduct themselves in accordance with the highest ethical standards, values, and, where these are defined, the best practices of their discipline.
Approved by Graduate Council, April 13, 2016.