Videos should be a short presentation (2 minutes or less of content, plus up to 30 seconds of acknowledgments) that captures the excitement, importance, and value of your scholarly work. Videos will be judged using criteria appropriate to the video format. Specific judging criteria are provided below.
Videos should be produced for presentation on YouTube. Students will also be asked to submit high quality versions of their videos to the Graduate School for archival purposes and for possible use by Penn State units (with permission). The 2017 winning videos can be viewed on YouTube.
Since the videos will be publicly available through a YouTube channel, they must adhere to common practices of copyright and intellectual property rights. Additionally all videos are required to include closed captioning.
Penn State Media Commons will provide assistance with producing these videos, and will conduct a workshop to familiarize students with facilities available to support the generation of the videos.
Judging Criteria for the Video Option:
- Content (40 pts):
- Purpose of Research (10 pts.) – The “What?”
- Background, current state of knowledge (10 pts.) – The “What?”
- How research is/will be done (10 pts.) – The “How?”
- Potential Impact of Research (10 pts.) – The “Why?”
- Effectiveness (30 pts) - successful communication
- Information is accessible to a broad audience (10 pts.)
- Key concepts are clearly communicated (10 pts.)
- Innovative and creative use of video format (10 pts.)
- Quality (30 pts.)
- Time constraints are met and effectively used (10 pts.)
- Visuals are clear, effective, and appropriate for topic (10 pts.)
- Text, music, narration is clear and appropriate for video (10 pts.)
Technical Specifications of the Submitted Videos:
- Total length of 2:00 minutes (content) plus up to 0:30 seconds of acknowledgments.
- Available via a personal YouTube channel; you will be asked to provide a link to the Graduate School so that it can be linked to the Graduate Exhibition playlist
- High quality (original) version provided to the Graduate School should be (minimally) at 720p resolution
- Video must include a close-captioned narrative
Examples of Similar Research Videos:
- Graduate Research Fellowship Program Video Contest Samples
- National Institutes of Health Common Fund Video Competition